Sign in / Join

Child and Adolescent Behavior Problems – Finding Help from Jonathan Lauter

If you are concerned about your kid’s or adolescent’s recent behavior, you may have already approached your kid’s primary care physician (PCP). But, if you feel your kid requires more help than can be provided by the PCP, then the time to look for a mental health professional is now. There are several types of professionals in the mental health field, with an extensive variety of expertise. There is no one-type-fits-all when seeking mental health care and you may find that after your kid begins therapy with a consultant that you feel that you should change.

That does happen, and every so often changing therapists will provide an enhanced outcome. Sometimes change is essential. Just be alert that therapy is difficult and therapy is hard and therapy sometimes hurts and brings up unpleasant thoughts or memories or feelings-and when that takes place, it is not the time to change therapists.

An adolescent and child psychiatrist like Jonathan Lauter is a licensed and fully-trained \medical doctor (M.D.) or osteopathic physician (D.O.), who has been particularly trained in psychiatry and who has no less than two additional years of advanced training dealing with adolescents, children, and families beyond medicinal school and common psychiatric training. You will want a psychiatrist who is board authorized by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in adolescent and child psychiatry. And it is evident that you already know that psychiatrists-because they are certified physicians are the only mental health professionals who can monitor and prescribe medications.

Psychologists concentrate on psychotherapy-the “talk therapy” element of treatment. Psychologists work to comprehend and progress the patient’s functioning at home, at play, at school, at work, and in society. Some psychologists have masters’ degrees (M.S.), and others have doctoral degrees (Psy.D., Ph.D., or Ed.D.) in educational, clinical, counseling, research, or developmental psychology. However, be reminded that psychologists are not medicinal doctors and cannot properly monitor nor prescribe medications. There are diverse types of psychologists, including clinical psychologists (who provide psychotherapy and counseling and possibly psychological testing), school or educational psychologists (who work to identify educational weaknesses and strengths and particular learning disorders or developmental learning inconveniences), neuropsychologists (who diagnosis behavioral and mental problems that are related to brain injuries), and still other kinds of psychologists who on concentrate on diverse areas.

While there are many diverse types of social workers, only a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) with a master’s degree in social work can offer clinical services as a sovereign practitioner. A licensed professional counselor (LPC) or a certified professional counselor (CPC) holds a master’s degree and state certification or licensure at the highest level of independent practice in the country where they practice. According to Jonathan Lauter, many works in organizations with other mental health practitioners, and some have solo practices.

Marriage and family therapists are acknowledged as either MFT or MFCC (marriage, family and child counselor) and acquire a master’s degree. These therapists provide support to troubled families and children and to individuals coping with distressed relationships.