Some patient evaluation factors to consider for kidney transplantation
Kidneys are one of the important organs of the body. But due to some ailments, it might stop working completely or function partially. Such issues not only will make the person to get bed ridden, but also lead to his/her untimely death. Fortunately, modern technology and sophisticated medical devices have made it possible for such patients to live a normal life. They now are provided with the option to undergo dialysis or kidney transplantation. Through dialysis procedure, the patient is able to eliminate waste products from the body. However, all functions performed by the kidney are not replaced. If the person is diagnosed with dysfunctional kidneys, then immediate treatment will be necessary to prevent or delay its complete failure.
With transplantation surgery procedure, the body will be able to remove continuously the waste metabolism products as well as excess fluids. The kidneys also help to produce erythropoietin, a natural hormone to prevent anemia. At the same time, it helps to cover Vitamin D into food within the active compound to help the bones to be healthy. It also helps to excrete toxic drugs. It does play a significant role to help control blood pressure. Generally, kidneys perform such functions. The patients are provided with better life quality by availing kidney transplantation by the top kidney transplant doctor in India, when compared to dialysis.
Some factors to consider to avail kidney transplantation procedure
Several factors are to be taken into consideration prior to undergoing kidney transplantation surgery. The person will be recommended this procedure only if he is noticed to have started dialysis or nearing it.
- No dependency is seen on ethnic background or age factor when evaluating need for transplantation. The procedure depends entirely upon the patient if he is fit to undergo the operation and be able to deal with its after effects.
- Few factors checked are chest conditions, heart disease and other related problems. Several types of tests are conducted to evaluate if such risk factors are a hindrance to carry out the procedure or not.
- Thorough discussion is to take place with the patient and the cardiologist, nephrologists and surgeon to finalize the procedure.
- After being considered to be fit to undergo the transplantation procedure, the benefits and risks of the procedure will be explained to the patient by the specialists.
- Waiting list is generally noticed for the transplantation procedure.
- Several tests will be required to diagnose virus infections.
- Specialists will enquire if patient has close family and friends ready to become live donors.
- When compared to the diseased donor transplants, live donor transplants do offer the kidneys with long term survival chances.
If the patient is able to receive specific donor kidney is determined by his/her blood group. It can be really difficult to have two people to become perfectly alike, since the genes are found to be different. However, for successful transplant, good match is very much possible. The total time taken to complete the surgery is about 3 hours and proper care and rest will be required after the surgery.